Sunday, July 18, 2010

Recovered patio cushions!




WHEW!! The patio cushions have finally been recovered! It was a long project, and by no means professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to admit that I am really happy with how it turned out. Sewing box edge covers with hidden zippers probably wasn't the best "beginner" project but there's nothing like necessity to hasten your learning process!!
A little background info: Our home was built in 1949 so the patio is an old painted concrete surface that originally had a wrought iron railing. The railing was in really sad shape when we bought this house 2 years ago but since we were gutting the inside of the house, the patio took back burner. Then last summer we replaced the railing with treated wood but I never found any furniture that "went" with the old style of the house. Then driving home one Sunday, I spied one of my favorite signs..."Estate Sale"...and of course I turned onto that road. There I spied this great old 6 piece patio set...all in great condition, but the cushions were in need of some TLC. So I wrote a check, loaded it up and brought it home. It is perfect. We had also "inherited" some patio furniture from grandparents that had seat covers in a pretty yellow floral print. (I am not a floral kind of girl, but for some reason I really like these. Plus, I hate not to try and reuse something that is in perfectly good condition.) So I ordered this yellow fabric online and started sewing. I didn't use a pattern, but sort of followed (loosely) some online tutorials, tweaking them to this particular project.
Like I said, it isn't professional, but for less than $300 (including the price I paid for the 6 piece patio set) I got exactly the look I was after. It is a great place to relax with my morning coffee, watch the kids play in the afternoon and have an evening cocktail with Hubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment