Monday, August 17, 2009

Recycling

My grandmother had a saying: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." One thing about our grandparents, they were green way before it became a buzzword! In fact, that's where the name of my business came from. My grandmother was an incredibly talented lady. She could entertain us for hours by finding everyday items around her home and turning them into something new and amazing! She was also incredible behind the wheel of a sewing machine. I had the best dressed Barbie of any of my friends and quite often my doll's outfit would match mine. That's because Granny couldn't stand wastefulness. She would use the scraps of the fabric for doll clothes, quilt pieces, etc... until there could be nothing else made from them, and then she would use the rest to stuff a toy or pillow. She used the clothes that we had outgrown, torn or somehow ruined to make the most beautiful quilts...all cut into hundreds of tiny pieces, then carefully arranged into an amazing piece of art... made out of scraps. I was explaining this to my daughter while we were running our hands over one of those quilts...naming each choir dress, flower girl dress, piano recital dress, and how they were all reminders of my childhood. My daughter said "all of those happy little scraps!" (Happy Scraps...get it?) :)

So if you love to monogram your children's clothes (like most of us do) and want to pass them down to the younger kids (like we all should) how do you do it?

With a patch! Not a patch like our moms used to sew on the holes in our jeans, but a cute, colorful patch in a coordinating fabric, fun shape and colorful threads! (or a solid fabric if you are using it on a busy print item.)

So you go from this:


To this:

So a sweet little hand-me-down has a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment