Thursday, September 3, 2009

Little girl's apron



I have decided to try and get an early jump on Christmas gifts this year. I say that every year but this year I mean it. (Just like all of the years before :)...) Anyway, I have been working on a few things and I had to share this. My niece is at the perfect age to start playing "kitchen" and every chef needs a cute apron, right? I couldn't find a pattern that I really liked so I traced off my own (using my own toddler as a model. So far he doesn't mind trying things on for me, even girly stuff. I snapped his picture in it to have for later...I'm thinking it might be useful for bribery and blackmail in his teenage years.) I used a cupcake pattern that I already had, and tried to keep the design pretty simple since I knew I would be adding her name.
As usual, I reached the point where I ran into a snag. Most aprons have a set of ties for the neck and a tie that goes around the waist. I am a momma and although I love cute stuff, I am a safety-girl first and foremost. I don't like things that tie around a toddler's neck because of the strangulation hazard. The answer?
HOOK AND LOOP!


This idea was not my own, but rather that of another crafty blogger whose site name escapes me. I tried to go back and find it, but couldn't. I am a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due, and the credit for this idea does not go to me but to some other mom who has already figured it out!
I also added hook and loop to the wrap around piece of the waist so my sister in law won't have to keep tying and retying. There is nothing so frustrating to a toddler as having to tie something, much less something that ties behing their backs. She should be able to put this little apron on all by herself and get to the baking!

Cupcakes anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment