Monday, October 26, 2009

Ice Cream and Cake

Not alot of sewing going on around here lately...I thought it would only be fair to let you know why...

We are a family that embraces tradition...even those that probably need to be done away with. For example, I have always made my children's birthday cakes. And each year, I always swear that next year I will simply call a bakery and order one. It wasn't such a big deal early on, but as the years progressed (and more and more children kept on showing up) the cake requests have gotten more elaborate. I blame alot of this on my daughter's obsession with all things Food Network and those "cake challenge" shows. I try to point out to them that those people are bona-fide pastry chefs...they have industrial sized mixers, fancy equipment, at least one assistant and never on any episode have I seen any children running around under their feet as they try to work. But on those occasions when I mention calling a bakery I am instantly met with wailing protest, so I keep on baking and frosting...usually with no idea of how this thing is going to turn out and the phone number of the nearest Publix bakery posted nearby in case of emergency. About a month ago, I was presented with the request for a "sports cake". That's it. No more description given. "Something with baseballs and footballs", he said. I instantly pictured in my mind a sheet cake with little plastic baseball and football players that I could buy and stick on top. Hooray! Finally something easy! "No," he replied. "Not players, just the baseballs and footballs. Made of cake."

Huh?

"How on earth do I do that?" I wonder as I promise to block Food Network with our parental controls.

But bake I did, and I must say that after 2 naptimes, one late night and more glasses of wine than I care to mention here is the result: (drumroll, please...)


The large baseball on top was butter-yellow cake made in the Wilton sports ball pan, and the bottom "field" was a 2 layer chocolate cake. The footballs (Oh. My. Word.) need to have their own food group because they are so yummy and are Oreo Truffles. You can find the recipe at www.Bakerella.com.
It was a fun day filled with lots of great kids (and their awesome moms who brought them and stayed to chat and help!), great gifts, lots of fun and some yummy cake.

I have survived to bake another year.

Have a blessed week! K

No comments:

Post a Comment