Thursday, January 14, 2010

Momma's got a brand new bag!


Cute, stylish and functional! (and really cheap to make!)

Santa brought my children a portable DVD player that has 2 screens. They primarily use it in the car on long trips but we often use it inside as well. (When someone is sick and confined to their room, during a long wait at the ball field or gym, etc...) So since the original packaging had fallen apart at the seams (literally!) it needed its own little home...preferrably one with handles so it can be toted from place to place. But since it has two screens it needed a soft divider to keep one from scracthing against the other and damaging each others surfaces. I decided to make one!
I am confined to our house today due to a nasty stomach virus that is sweeping throughout our household (3 down, 3 to go) so going out to the fabric store isn't an option. Plus, although I adore the fabric store I really wanted to try and keep this little project "on the cheap" and use what I already had on hand. This little cutie was made using some scraps of prequilted fabric, my handy dandy rotary cutter, a sewing machine and my serger (aka: "Chopper") I added the monogram at the end so there would be no question as to whose bag this is!


On the outside I included a pleated pocket to hold the various cords (I added a snap to help keep it closed) and on the inside I included a divider in a coordinating brown fabric (also prequilted). I also used a piece of left over fabric to make a little fabric envelope to hold the earphones and keep the cords from getting tangled up with the power cords. The fact that I could serge my edges, used a rotary cutter and used prequilted fabric (instead of having to use batting and stabilizer) really made this a quick and (somewhat)easy project!
Doing this project taught me several things:
1) I can often create my own "pattern" if I have my measurements and think things through.
2) You can't do a decent topstitch if you are in a hurry.
3) If I am nice to my serger, she'll be nice to me. I have neglected cleaning Chopper out the way I should. I cleaned her and she purred like a kitten.
4) If you tend to drop pins and not pick them up, at least have enough sense to not walk around barefooted.
And finally: 5) If I can do it, anyone can!!


Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment